Understanding culture and diversity is essential to the field of public health. In this assignment, consider the influence of culture on public health. In an essay of 1,250-1,500 words, discuss the following:
- Define culture. What elements make up a person’s culture? How do those elements impact a person’s perception of health, health decision making, and health behaviors?
- What personal cultural elements impact your own health behaviors and health decision making?
- How might your own cultural or personal biases affect your perception of other cultures and their health behaviors?
- Describe the difference between cultural competency and diversity.
- Describe some specific strategies public health professionals can implement to improve their cultural competence as they work to decrease health disparities and improve the health of diverse populations.
You are required to cite to at least three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the criteria and public health content of the assignment.