The methodology section of your paper outlines the methods that you would use to complete your study. The methodology paper has seven elements: 1) Introduction, 2) Design of the Study, 3) Research Questions/Hypothesis, 4) Sampling Methodology, 5) Data Collection Methods, 6) Data Analysis Methods, and 7) Ethical Issues.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate in writing knowledge of the key elements of a methodology paper, as it applies to your research study.
- Textbook: Practice-Based Research in Social Work
- Textbook: Writing Empirical Research Reports: A Basic Guide for Students of the Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Tutorial: Introduction to the Methodology Section
- File: Methodology Draft Example: Descriptive.pdf
- File: Methodology Draft Example: Experimental.pdf
- File: Methodology Draft Example: Qualitative.pdf
- Website: Avoiding Plagiarism
Introduction to the Methodology Section
The introduction section of the methodology paper is relatively simple. You want to identify the problem statement and then discuss the subsections of the paper, which include the design of the study, research questions/hypothesis, sampling methods, data collection methods, data analysis methods, and, finally, some ethical issues. The purpose is to inform the reader that the content has shifted from the literature review to the methodology. For more information, view the Introduction to Methodology Section tutorial.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- In your textbook Practice-Based Research in Social Work, read the following chapters:
- Chapter 6, â€œUnderstanding Basic Differences in Data-Collection Methodsâ€
- Chapter 7, â€œQualitative Data Gatheringâ€
- Chapter 8, â€œQuantitative Data Gatheringâ€
- Chapter 9, â€œPBR Samplingâ€
- Chapter 10, â€œResearch Ethics and Protection of Human Subjects in PBRâ€
- In your textbook Writing Empirical Research Reports, read the following chapters:
- Chapter 2, â€œWriting Simple Research Hypothesesâ€
- Chapter 4, â€œWriting Research Objectives and Questionsâ€
- Chapter 9, â€œWriting Method Sectionsâ€
- Review the following files:
- Review the tutorial, Introduction to the Methodology Section.
- Review the website, Avoiding Plagiarism, at http://indwes.libguides.com/c.php?g=71133.
- Complete the methodology draft for your research study.
- Your paper should follow APA formatting and include a cover page, in-text citations, and a reference page.